Sunday, March 11, 2007

LWW C.S. Lewis

This is one of my favorite books, ever and it was a joy to have to read for class. I have been reading and re-reading this series since I was 11 years old and it never gets old. Although I do understand those who may not appreciate this type of book because of its religious symbolism (most clearly in salvation through a substitutiary sacrifice of Aslan's death and resurrection), I do still feel that this book has a lot to offer to its readers. It's adventurous and imiginative and, for me at least, makes you wanting more. Lewis' writing style in these books is juvenile enough to be understandable, yet now as though he's talking down to his audience. I love how he interjects things throughout the story to relate to his readers, like when he'll write something like "have you ever..., well it's kind of like that." I think when he does that he's puting the text into terms and emotions that the audience has had experience with that and so can relate that feeling to the ones being felt by the characters which makes the characters more understandable and allows the readers to feel empathy towards them. This approach also makes the characters feel more approachable, more human and less like figments of another's imagination. I feel that Lewis' ability to create a world that is appealing to the readers is quite impressive. He made Narnia into a world that I could imagine and made me feel like I wanted to go there. I wouldn't say this book is overly descriptive (like say L.M. Montgomery), but what descriptions he does use, he uses them well and consequently has been able to construct Narnia in the hearts and minds of many, adult and children alike. This series of books was a turning point in my reading experiences. This was the first book I actually liked, wanted to read more of and got excited about reading. Lewis has since remained one of my favorite authors and I have gone on to read most of his literary works and although different than Narnia, most equally impressive. In fact, I've been so impressed by Lewis, that when I read somewhere that he was an associate of Tolkien's, I thought that maybe Tolkien might be worth reading. And even though I do like LOTR (but not nearly as much as LWW), I would never had read them if it weren't for Lewis.

3 comments:

AAYERS said...

I have read The Chronicles of Narnia in Spanish and English and also seen the movie. I enjoyed reading it in both languages, but I think I may have understood it more when I read it in Spanish because we went through it bit by bit. I enjoyed the magical side of the story and the way that it was religiously connected. I agree that it is for children and also for adults. If the child does not know how to read and the parent has to read it to them, then the parent will probably enjoy it as much as the child does. I also think that the movie (both the older version and the newer version) are pretty close, if not exact, to the book. I like that because I think it helps the child to see the creatures in the book the way that Lewis may have seen them. I do think, however, that it is good for the child to see the creatures in their own mind and not have a movie do it for them. Lewis describes the creatures thoroughly and I think that most children would be able to see them the way the movie pictured them. I have enjoyed reading this book in the past and I'm excited that I have a chance to read it again.

MissMay said...

Unlike the lead blogger, I have never read LWW. Actually, my friends had to drag me to go see the movie last winter. I did enjoy the movie, so I was somewhat excited to read the book, but of course I had many different ideas about what the characters looked like, and other details that reading the book allows your imagination to create. After watching the movie it is difficult to imagine that the details much different then the movie does. I do agree with the leader, in the way she explains that Lewis write for children, without talking down to them. This was a very easy to read, and I believe that this is from the way that Lewis creates a flow in the story. Lewis, unlike Carroll, makes fantasy seem as real as the room you are reading in. I also like that Lewis explains things to the reader, this reminds me to the Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snicket. This gives the reader another way for them to associate the story to their own real life.

To switch gears, Skellig, is a very interesting book. When I looked up my book list at my aunt's house, I read off the books and when I reached Skellig, my fourteen year old cousin, got excited and ran to get the book for me. I think this book appealled to a fourteen year old, because to the disgustingness of the character, Skellig. He seems to be a gruesome person, although he is extremely interesting. I am very intrested in the story line with Michael's younger sister. I do not know what happened to her and I would love to know why she is so sick and why the family has yet to name her. I find it interesting that two of the characters in the story are at very different ages (the beginning and the end of life), but they are still facing the same troubles (death). I think that Skellig may be a way for Micheal to deal with his sister's fragility. Maybe he is able to deal with death easier when it is portrayed as an older person.

Tae Tae (03/14/1986) said...

I am very excited about starting the book Skellig because i have never read or heard of it before and those are the books that i most often enjoy....something new. THe Lion witch and wardrobe was an okay book for me, but this is one that seemed to be exactly like i remembered from the movie. Im usually shocked when a large percentage of the movie comes straight from the book. THe magical aspects of the book just made me think of all the children i work with who are at a big dramatic stage in their lives, they come up and tell me all kinds of things about animals, monsters, and witches in the craziest places. Maybe i should listen to them. The little boy in this book reminds me of how no matter who you are, you always crave the attention of your superiors and tend to think you are a little wiser and better than those even a few days under you. all in all i enjoyed the book and its descriptiveness.